How NSFAS Loan Allowances Work



In 2024, NSFAS finally began missing middle funding. Here's how the NSFAS student loans work. 


The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) Missing Middle Loan bridges the gap for students who don't qualify for full NSFAS bursaries. The financial aid scheme offers financial support not just for tuition, but also for living expenses through allowances.

NSFAS provides comprehensive bursaries and student loans to deserving learners enrolled in approved courses at universities and TVET colleges. The funding not only includes money for tuition and registration fees but also includes several allowances for food, accommodation and learning materials. 

NSFAS Allowances For Loan Holders

Students funded through the NSFAS Missing Middle Loan will also receive allowances similar to those offered in the bursary scheme. These allowances cover essential expenses like:

  • Accommodation
  • Transport
  • Learning Materials
  • Meals
  • Personal Care

Receiving Your NSFAS Allowances

NSFAS will use the same channels for disbursing allowances to loan recipients as they do for bursary students. This ensures a smooth and familiar process.

NSFAS Missing Middle Loan Requirements

  • Household income must fall between R350,001 and R600,000 per year.
  • You must be accepted to study at either a TVET College or a public university.
  • You can apply for the loan in your first, second, third, or fourth year of study.
  • To maintain funding, you need to maintain a minimum average of 60% in your coursework.
  • The programme prioritises STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) with 70% of allocations going towards these subjects (including commercial and entrepreneurial courses). The remaining 30% is allocated to Humanities subjects.
  • There's an incentive for academic excellence! If you achieve a higher than 70% average and complete your course within the prescribed time frame, you may be eligible for loan forgiveness of up to 50%.

Take the First Step Towards Your Future

If you fall within the "missing middle" income bracket and aspire to higher education, the NSFAS Missing Middle Loan can be your key to success. Explore the NSFAS website or contact them directly to learn more about applying and repayment options.

    Suggested Article