Gauteng went online with it's school applications for 2021. The MEC has now said that 18% of learners remain unplaced and this is now causing anxiety amongst parents. The Department has also set up ways to assist parents who have trouble applying for school placements.
AdvertisementArticle Category: News
In Gauteng, 82% of Grade 1 and 8 registered online for the 2021 school year. Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said that unlike the previous years, the process ran smoothly with no major hiccups, however, they have to now focus on placing the remaining 18% of learners who remain unplaced.
With more applications and the number of classrooms that we had, this has created a huge headache to the department, to the officials and also to the parents.
Parents of children who remain unplaced are now in a panic mode and angry and their anxiety has reached unacceptable levels, said Lesufi.
Offers of placements were handed to parents from 1 October 2020 and they are urged to accept these offers or they will be forfeited.
181 119 applications were properly placed and around 41 000 parents did not receive a place for their children. A total of over 222 000 applications were received and 81% of these have seen placements happen.
18% of parents did not receive placements for their children.
"What we need to do is provide answers to the 18% of parents who were not successful," said the MEC.
The reasons behind the unsuccessful applications are as follows:
- Schools which were chosen were high demand schools
- The capacity in terms of regulations meant that the department had to prioritise parents who used their home address
- The Department needed to prioritise siblings
Lesufi clarified that the majority of those who were unplaced fall in the last two categories. Learners who live in a radius of 30km or less from schools are more likely to be placed as well.
The 2021 Gauteng admission placements for Grades 1 and 8 ended on 30 November.
The names of schools who have space left for learners is said to be released on 7 December.
Late applications for schools will commence on 22 December until 22 January.
The Gauteng Department of Education acknowledged that parents are under pressure when it comes to planning for their children's next year of schooling. To assist, they will be opening their centres from 18 until 29 January so that parents can be assisted should they not have access to online applications.
Tags: gauteng schoolgauteng educationPanyaza Lesufifix our schoolsequal educationservice deliveryschoolshomeschoolingGDE Admissionswestern cape schoolsmontessorikindergartenhigh schooleschoolschools near mevaledictorianboarding schoolsecondary schoolmontessori schoolprimary schoolprivate schools near metruancyextracurricularhigh schools near meroosevelt high schoolhillcrest high schoolonline schoolprivate schoolprimary schools near mesacred heart collegeschool of excellencenursery schoolschool nutrition programmeangie motshekgadepartment of educationeducation departmentclassroomsgauteng school applications