Field of Study:
There are two different deadlines depending on whether you have previously received a Baldwin Fellowship:
New Applicants: February 15th
Returning Applicants: March 1st
New Applicants for Baldwin Fellowships funded by the National Geographic Society: Open
Please Note: If the deadline falls on a weekend, the application will be due the end of the next business day.
Baldwin Fellowship Eligibility
Only scholars with citizenship in a developing country are eligible.
The applicant must have a Home Sponsor who is a member of the institution where the applicant is affiliated in the home country, as well as a Host Sponsor who is a member of the institution which the candidate plans to pursue training. Should an award be made, the Host Sponsor must be willing to assume responsibility for overseeing the candidate’s training. Since the Baldwin Fellowship is intended to be a partnership between the candidate and both the Home and Host Institutions, it is expected that candidates will be offered support by these institutions in the form of financial assistance and, upon completion of training, employment in the home country.
Amount and Duration of Awards
Awards are limited to two years. The maximum award is limited to $15,000 per year.
Our Baldwin Fellowship application is now online. Use the following links to begin the application process:
Please make sure to thoroughly read the Application Guidelines before applying.
Please click here for information on second year Baldwin Fellowship renewals
Conditions of Bursary:
You may download instructions to send to your sponsors here:
The Foundation office will notify candidates by May 15th about the status of their applications.
Conditions of Awards
The following reporting requirements are conditions of the Baldwin Fellowship Agreement:
- Fellow Progress Reports: Progress Reports are required for multi-year Baldwin Fellowships and are to be submitted as part of the Renewal Application. Progress Reports will determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility, include an accounting of funds expended to date (which will be approved and signed by the Host Sponsor and the Baldwin Fellow), and include course work and grades to date. Formal transcripts must be sent to the Foundation at the end of each academic year. This progress report will be used to determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility for continued support and is DUE MARCH 1ST.
- Host Sponsor Progress Reports: The Host Sponsor must provide the Foundation and the Home Institution/Sponsor with a progress report at the end of each year of the Baldwin Fellow’s training period. The report should address the Baldwin Fellow’s academic performance, progress in language ability (when applicable), and any other matters pertinent to the Baldwin Fellow’s ability to complete the course of training undertaken, as well as a realistic estimate of the time required to complete the training. This progress report will be used to determine the Baldwin Fellow’s eligibility for continued support and is DUE MARCH 1ST.
The final reports, transcript, and financial statements must be SUBMITTED WITHIN THREE MONTHS after the end of the study/training period as stated by the Baldwin Fellow on his/her application form.
- Baldwin Fellow: Upon conclusion of the final year of the Baldwin Fellowship, the Baldwin Fellow must summarize his/her accomplishments in a Final Report (2-3 pages).
- Host Sponsor: At the end of the training period, the Host Sponsor must provide the Foundation with a final report on the Baldwin Fellow’s accomplishments. If the Baldwin Fellow requires additional training either to: 1) reach the initial goals of this Baldwin Fellowship award or 2) to obtain more advanced training before returning to his/her home country, elaborate on this plan including sources of support and estimated time for completion.
- Transcript: A final transcript must be requested from the Host Institution by the Baldwin Fellow and a copy submitted to the Foundation.
- Financial: The Fellow and Host Sponsor must make sure that the Host Institution submits an official signed accounting for the US dollar amount expended each year. This accounting is to be supplemented by a more detailed statement of expenditures by the Baldwin Fellow which is signed by both the Baldwin Fellow and the Host Sponsor.
- Upon the Completion of the Training: The Baldwin Fellow must provide a status report on further educational plans and/or a position taken in the Home Country. At the time of return to his/her Home Country, the Baldwin Fellow must provide the Foundation with a current address.
How to Apply:
Click here to download instructions for the Proposal Body/Statement of Purpose.
Click here to download the Budget Worksheet.
Second Year Baldwin Fellowship Renewals
Please click here for more information on second year Baldwin Fellowship renewals.
The online application should be submitted by end of day February 15th in order to be considered for funding in the following academic year, which begins in the Fall. Formal letters of support from both the Home and Host Sponsors must also reach the office by this deadline.