Field of Study:
The CSIR has a bursary opportunity in the Synthetic Biology and Precision Medicine Centre within the Next Generation Health cluster. The purpose of the bursary is to provide student with financial assistance towards their Doctoral studies.
For more information about the group and collaborator, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/translational-biomedical-research and https://www.up.ac.za/microbial-ecology-and-genomics/article/1928624/prof-don-cowan respectively.
To develop a novel bioinformatics and synthetic biology pipeline for engineering microbes as an optimal chassis for synthetic biology applications such as probiotics as a proof or concept. The analysis of whole genomes and implementation of a novel protein production system will form the basis for using synthetic biology for engineer microbes for industrial application. This work will be in the form of a collaborative project between CSIR and University of Pretoria where the candidate will be required to register for a Doctoral program at the University of Pretoria.
- A Master’s degree in bioinformatics, biological sciences, molecular biology, microbiology or related fields;
- Knowledge of next generation sequencing, bioinformatics and microbial research research and techniques will be advantageous;
- Knowledge of coding in open source bioinformatics software packages will also be advantageous;
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written);
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and relevant scientific software.
Closing date: 03 January 2019
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at [email protected]
How to Apply:
APPLY ONLINE VIA LINK HERE CSIR BURSARY APPLICATION