Field of Study:
The Fulbright Foreign Student Programme is inviting applications for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The South African Fulbright Foreign Student Programme provides grants for South African university graduates to pursue post-graduate studies at a United States university in any subject (excludes MBA and studies that require contact with patients).
Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure orientation and re-entry session.
For more information on the programme, refer to the South Africa Fulbright Foreign Student Program (FFSP) Application Guidelines.
Applications close on 14 May.
- MA/PhD: Post-graduate students may apply for scholarships towards Master’s or Doctorate degrees. Scholarships are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate (renewable each year).
- Visiting Student Researcher (non-degree) : South African PhD students enrolled with a South African University may apply to conduct one year’s research at a U.S. University as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). Current National Research Foundation (NRF) funded PhD students are encouraged to apply.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the programme)
- For Non-Degree (Visiting Student Researcher) studies: Must be registered for a PhD with a South African university
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree, or a three-year bachelor’s degree plus honors year, or a four-year B-Tech degree when applying for Master’s
- Have a Master’s degree when applying for a Doctoral degree
- Have sufficient level of English proficiency to enable them to engage in graduate level study in the U.S.
- Be able to meet the minimum scores on required standardized tests such as the GRE and TOEFL (tested by Fulbright when invited to the semi-final round)
- Display academic excellence
- Be highly motivated and committed to returning to S.A. after the programme
- Demonstrate leadership qualities
- Display a sense of social responsibility; be involved in extra-mural activities
- Have a desire to further Fulbright Alumni activities by giving back to your community/university upon returning
- Have an understanding of the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility needed to adjust successfully to life in the United States as a student.
- Have not had recent and extensive experience in the U.S.
Queries not addressed on the website may be sent to the Fulbright Office via: [email protected]
Fulbright Programme contacts in South Africa:
U.S. Embassy, Pretoria: [email protected]
U.S. Consulate Johannesburg: [email protected]
U.S. Consulate Durban: [email protected]
U.S. Consulate Cape Town: [email protected]
- Travel allowance and transportation from South Africa to the authorized U.S. destination
- Health benefits
- Settling in allowance upon arrival in the U.S.
- Monthly maintenance allowance (to cover living expenses)
- Tuition and fees
- Book and computer allowance
- J-1 visa sponsorship
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must apply online via the application link: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2022