Field of Study:
The GreenMatter Fellowship PhD is Awarded for Study at the University of Cape Town in South Africa in 2020. GreenMatter will provide funding for up to a maximum of three years
It affords participants the opportunity to fully engage in tackling biodiversity issues through their study and career paths, alongside peers who share in that commitment.
The cash bursary amount is ZAR 90,000 per year. The proposed research topic must address one of the following priority skills areas:
- Agricultural extensionists with biodiversity specialism
- Bioinformatics: ICT specialists and technicians with biodiversity skills
- Curators of biodiversity collections
- Ecologists: esp. in marine but also aquatic and terrestrial systems
- EIA practitioners
- Engineers (civil) with biodiversity specialism
- Lawyers with environmental specialism
- Geneticists: molecular biology with a specialisation in biodiversity conservation (as opposed to commercial applications)
- GIS specialists and technicians
- Human Capital Development: High level biodiversity education and HCD specialists
- Monitoring specialists, species protection officers and inspectors
- Policy developers & analysts, urban & regional planners with biodiversity insight
- Protected area managers
- Resource economists with biodiversity related specialism
- Social scientists specialising in environment, indigenous biodiversity knowledge
- Social ecologists
- Soil scientists
- Statistical ecologists & modellers
- Wildlife veterinarians.
Closing date: 15 July 2020
Applicants must be:
- A national of South Africa (Preferably)
- In possession of a Masters’ Degree
- Seeking funding for a full-time doctoral programme at University of Cape Town
- Able to motivate how your field of study aligns to the GreenMatter priority skill areas identified.
How to Apply:
The application form must be filled out online here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J2ZSXP6
Please remember to fill in all sections of the form. If you experience any problems, questions can be emailed to [email protected] and will be responded to within 2 working days.
The following supporting documents must be included and should be uploaded at the end of the form. Please make sure the documents are labelled accordingly.
- Proof of South African citizenship
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s)
- Certified academic transcripts
- Thesis proposal
- Reference letters from two referees.