Field of Study:
A New Zealand Scholarship will change and enrich your life.
The New Zealand Aid Programme offers scholarships to potential applicants from eligible African countries
(including South Africa) who are motivated to make a difference at home. Applications are now open for studies in 2021.
Types of scholarships available
There are two types of scholarships available:
1) New Zealand Scholarship for International Tertiary
2) New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship. Each scholarship has different requirements, application processes and deadlines. Please ensure that you read these carefully and adhere to the
processes for the scholarship to which you are interested in applying.
Please note that this is for South African applicants only.
Master's and PhD
Fields of Study
- Good Governance
- Climate Change and Resilience
- Renewable Energy
Diploma, Master's and PhD scholarships in New Zealand.
Sectors of study include Agriculture, Food Security, Climate Change and Resilience, Renewable Energy and Good Govenance
Deadline for Development Scholarship application: 28 February 2020
Deadline for Commonwealth Scholarship application: 31 March 2020
Click here for more information on fields of study for the New Zealand Scholarship for International
International tertiary scholars can also learn what financial support they will get from a full scholarship and about the conditions of their academic scholarship. They can find links to the student visa application and how to apply for admission to an approved education institution or university.
New Zealand Scholarship for International Tertiary Students: 14 March 2019
New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship: 28 March 2019
Who can apply?
Applicants must meet all the eligibility criteria and the conditions set out by MFAT in Appendix A.
- Applicants who demonstrate strong academic ability, leadership qualities, and a commitment to the development of their home country;
- Applicants who are 39 years of age or younger at the time of commencing their scholarship;
- Applicants who apply to study in areas relating to one or more of their country's sectors;
- Gender balance will also be a consideration in final selection decisions.
How to Apply:
New Zealand Scholarship for International Tertiary Students
All applications for the New Zealand Scholarship for International Tertiary Students must be submitted
online. Please see the below links for more details on the process:
New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship:
All applications for the New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship must be submitted on this application form, with all supporting documents, by email to the Department of Higher Education and Training at: [email protected]
This information is for South African citizens only.
For questions which are not answered by the information on this website, submit an online enquiry at:
Links and Downloads