Field of Study:
The Royal Society and British Academy are offering the Newton International Fellowships to aspiring scientists in 2021.
These fellowships are for non-UK scientists who are at an early stage of their research career and wish to conduct research in the UK.
Closing date: 16 June 2021.
- have a PhD, or will have a PhD by the time the funding starts
- have no more than 7 years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry)
- be working outside the UK
- not hold UK citizenship
- be competent in oral and written English
- have a clearly defined and mutually-beneficial research proposal agreed with a UK host scientist
Funding will consist of:
- subsistence, at a fixed rate of £24,000 per annum.
- up to £8,000 per annum for consumables.
- a one-off payment of up to £3,500 for relocation expenses in year one only.
- contribution towards the cost of Newton International Fellow, dependents’ (partner and children only) visas required to relocate to the UK.
- a contribution will also be made to enable the UK host institution to host a Fellowship; this will be equal to 50% of the award (excluding the additional funding for dependents’ visas).
- provision for maternity, paternity, shared parental leave, adoptive or extended sick leave as well as financial support for childcare costs that arise from attending conferences.
- Newton International Fellows may be eligible for follow-up funding of up to £6,000 per annum for up to 5 years following the completion of the Fellowship.
How to Apply:
Applications for the humanities and social sciences should be made to the British Academy.
If you are unsure about which academy to apply to, contact [email protected].
Applications for the natural and physical sciences should be submitted through the Royal Society’s grants management system Flexi-Grant via https://grants.royalsociety.org.
Further guidance and support can be found through the applicant and approver knowledge base.