Field of Study:
Gladwell Scholarship (R12000)
Terms & Conditions
- The scholarship is awarded annually to a South African citizen for the study of serious music, either instrumental, vocal or composition.
- The scholarship is to be used for local or international music study at an institution or teacher approved of by the Council of the SASMT.
- The candidate must be of grade 8 standard of any the music examining bodies or of a higher standard and a citizen of South Africa under the age of 25 years.
- Only students of current and paid-up members of the SASMT are allowed to enter.
- The scholarship will be paid out in two instalments to the person/institution where the recipient will be studying. Payment of the second instalment will be dependent on a satisfactory progress report. The Society reserves the right not to award a scholarship if the required standards are not met. An award may also be shared between two candidates at the discretion of the Council of the SASMT.
- Each entry must include:
(i) the completed entry form,
(ii) a certified copy of the candidate’s identity document,
(iii) a full academic record,
(iv) recommendations by two referees, one of which must be the head of the department/institution where the applicant is or has been studying,
(v) a short curriculum vitae,
(vi) a recent unedited DVD recording as specified below,
(vii) a declaration by the teacher that the DVD is of the candidate’s own performance,
(viii) a photo in electronic format about 500 px in height.
- The DVD recording must consist of the unedited performance of a minimum of 3 contrasting works from at least 2 style periods with a total duration of 15–20 minutes. Please put the different pieces on separate tracks. The name and instrument of the candidate must be indicated on the DVD but not recorded. The quality of the recording could influence the result .Recordings will not be returned after adjudication but may be collected.
- Applications must reach the Executive Officer at the following address on or before the closing date as indicated on the Scholarship page of this website.