Field of Study:
The South African Research Chair in Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies, is funded by the National Research Foundation.
The Chair is located at the Institute for Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies (PLAAS) at the University of the Western Cape. This allows her to recruit, support and supervise Master’s, doctoral and post-doctoral students.
Applications are invited for the following, starting in 2020:
• Five scholarships for Masters (2 years if full-time)
• Four scholarships for Doctoral study (3 years if full-time, extendable
to a 4th year)
• Two fellowships for Post-doctoral study (2 years)
- Preference is given to South African citizens or permanent residents
- Preference will be given to women candidates.
While the scholarships will cover fees and living expenses, the Chair also provides access to funds for other study-related costs, among others: equipment, fieldwork and conference attendance.
How to Apply:
To apply, send your full application package to Carla Henry at [email protected] The application should consist of:
• an online UWC application for 2020 studies*,
• a brief concept note outlining the proposed research (two pages
• your full CV,
• your academic transcripts,
• a South African Qualifications Authority certificate for those with foreign qualifications,
• a sample of your academic writing (e.g. a chapter from a Master’s
• the names of three academic referees,
• a letter of motivation.
*Please ensure you select 2020, and select the appropriate programme under Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, PLAAS department.