Field of Study:
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD Portal.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be submitted in non-certified form. The DAAD Head Office in Bonn reserves the right to also request certified copies of the submitted documents.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (in German)
- Letter of motivation (in German)
- Copy of university degree certificate(s) with final grade(s), if available (with German or English translation)
- Proof of credits for all university examinations (with final grades) incl. explanation of grading systems (with German or English translation)
- Language certificate (if applicable with German or English translation)
- The language certificates must meet at least B1 (onSET, TestDaF, GI-Nachweis, DSD, DSH, telc Deutsch) and should be no more than one year old. Language certificates from B2 or TDN4 may be older in all examined sections.
- Other documents you think might be of relevance to your application (e.g. proof of placements, certificates of employment)
- In addition to the knowledge of language level of B1 as mentioned above, applications of a language level of A2 can be accepted in certain cases.
To be submitted by post
One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications. Please regard the instructions given on the tab “Submitting an application“.
15 August each year
- Doctoral candidates/PhD students
- In the application form, applicants are asked to specify the courses they wish to take. Applicants should fill in all spaces and enter different course locations. The DAAD does its best to consider these preferences when it makes a final decision about allocating places. Because there is only a limited number of available places, however, the DAAD reserves the right to allocate an alternative course. The course choices indicated in the application form are binding. It is not possible to change or discontinue a course.
- Only applications that have been submitted on time and are complete can be considered.
- Ownership of the application documents including all appendices, samples, etc. shall pass to the DAAD without claim to payment. Documents are not returned to applicants. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act and with the EU Data Protection Regulation insofar as this data is needed to process the application.