Field of Study:
The SINDISWA CAROL ‘TU’ NHLUMAYO MERIT BURSARY will provide an opportunity for young women from previously disadvantaged, designated groups to pursue a career in maritime related fields.
Beneficiaries will also have the opportunity to participate in organised bodies such as Women in Maritime Africa (WIMA) and other bodies for women in science. SAIMI will foster partnerships with organisations that support women in maritime to empower and facilitate networks to support beneficiaries.
In order to be considered for the bursary, the Applicant must:
1.1 Be a South African citizen with valid ID number
1.2 Be a South African female from previously disadvantaged, designated groups1 , aged between the ages of 17-25 years.
1.3 Be either in Grade 12 or in possession of a National Senior Certificate (NSC).
1.4 Be provisionally accepted as a full-time student, into an accredited South African tertiary institution.
1.5 Be a full-time student, studying for a Maritime related qualification at an accredited South African tertiary institution and obtaining an average mark of at least 70% (academic progress will be considered).
1.6 Fall under the ‘missing middle’2 financial category.
1.7 Obtain pass symbols of A’s and B’s in Matric.
Submit the following documents:
- Application form completed in full
- Motivation letter of no more than 500 words
- Certified Matric certificate or latest results (if in Grade 12)
- Certified copy of academic transcript
- Provisional letter of acceptance from tertiary institution
- Students who have already registered - Official quotation for tuition fees and textbooks
- Learners who have not yet registered at University can provide an official quotation for tuition fees and textbooks, after registration
- Affidavit, in instance where one or both Parents/guardian are unemployed
- Proof of household income and/or SASSA letter if applicable (parents/guardian/spouse – if married in COP)
- Certified copy of ID
- Certified copies of parent/guardian ID or death certificate where parent is deceased.
How to Apply:
CLICK ON PDF APPLICATIONS ATTACHED.
Conditions of Bursary:
The bursary award will include the following:
- Full academic bursary – cost of tuition fees and textbooks.
- Opportunity to attend SAIMI-hosted conferences and selected local maritime events.
- Opportunity to participate in organised bodies in maritime and science.