Field of Study:
Founded in 1989, The South African Clothing and Textile Workers' Union is the largest trade union in the clothing, textile, leather and footwear industry in South Africa and on a global scale. SACTWU's bursary scheme remains the largest of any trade union in Africa. The bursary scheme funds the education of the children of its members, and it has paid out more than R500 million since 1975, towards higher education diplomas and degrees.
The bursary is open to all SACTWU members, their husbands or wives, their children and legally adopted children, as well as staff members. The bursary does not cover full fee expenses. For universities, it pays a maximum of R35 000 per annum. The remaining fees are the responsibility of the student.
- 28 February 2020 (for the full year and first semester)
- 7 August 2020 (for 2nd semester courses)
- Must be a SACTWU member, spouse or child of a SACTWU member
- or the candidate must be a staff member
For more information, kindly contact the Sactwu Bursary Department on 031 3011351 or the nearest Sactwu Office.
James Bolton Hall
127 Magwaza Maphalala Street
SACTWU Bursary Department
P.O. Box 18359
Conditions of Bursary:
- The bursary is not open to students wishing to study at a FET/ TVET college
- All students who are child dependants and have received a Sactwu bursary are required to do 50 hours of community service and submit proof to the Sactwu Bursary Department
How to Apply:
You have to complete a Sactwu bursary application form. Forms are available on the Sactwu Bursary website : http://www.sactwu.org.za/bursary
You can ask for assistance from any Sactwu Office to complete the bursary application form which is a service that is offered free of any charges.
Please read the bursary rules for more information.