The University of Cape Town Merit & Need Awards offers a range of funding awards to postgrad students. These awards are given to South African and permanent residents, based on merit, financial need or both.
Funding is limited for the following amount of time:
- Honours – ONE YEAR (first year of Honours degree only)
- Master's – TWO YEARS (first two years of Master's degree only)
- Doctoral – THREE YEARS (first three years of Doctoral degree only)
- Renewal of funding is conditional via a separate Form 10B application only for Masters & Doctoral 10A awards
- Only students who are registered for full-time studies are eligible for funding.
- A second degree at the same level will not be supported.
- Students who register for the 4th year of a Bachelor's degree, FAPM, PGCE, LLB, Postgraduate Certificates, Diplomas, MBAs will not qualify for these awards.
- All professional degrees with a research component less than 30% is not supported.
Conditions of Bursary:
You will not be eligible for funding support if you are employed for more than 20 hours per week.
All students applying for financial need support will be means-tested to determine if they qualify for a financial-aid or GAP bursary and level of support.
How to Apply:
In order to qualify for UCT funding, applicants must also apply for funding from the National Research Foundation (NRF) if they are eligible http://www.nrf.ac.za/bursaries/calls.
Once you have applied for the NRF funding, you can then download and complete the UCT Postgrad Funding Form