NSFAS has decided to give students laptops to give them access to online learning during Covid-19. This comes as Universities and TVET Colleges implement online learning and close down campuses to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Who Qualifies For A Laptop?
- NSFAS funded students registered for the 2020 academic year at public university or TVET College and have signed the terms and conditions that come with the laptop
- NSFAS funded students who have not previously received a laptop from their university or TVET College
Who Doesn't Qualify For A Laptop?
- Students who have already received a laptop from their institution
- Students who receive laptops as part of their enrolment package
- Students who are not funded by NSFAS
- Students who have not signed the terms and conditions that come with the laptop
- Trimester 1 students from TVET Colleges
Students should expect to receive their devices from September onwards. This delay in the provision is due to following proper procedures in the procurement of devices and that they "unfortunately had to work through a lot of bureaucracies", said Carolissen. He said that they would rather do it this way than taking shortcuts and that they are well on their way to having the devices ready.
NSFAS has also made data available to some students to access online learning even better.