NSFAS funds many undergraduate students, but what happens once you have your undergraduate qualification? Does NSFAS still lend a helping hand if you decide to do your postgraduate studies?
NSFAS does offer funding to postgraduate students, but only for selected courses. If the postgrad qualification is a professional requirement for employment, then it will be funded.
Only the following postgrad qualifications are funded by NSFAS:
- B Tech – Architecture/Architectural Technology
- B Tech – Biokinetics/Biomedical Technology/Biotechnology
- B Tech: Chiropractic
- B Tech: Clinical Technology/Dental Technology
- B Tech: Emergency Medical Care
- B Tech: Engineering (Chemical/Civil/Electrical/Industrial/Mechanical/Mechatronics/Metallurgy/Refractories)
- B Tech: Forestry
- B Tech: Homeopathy
- B Tech: Nursing/Nursing Science/Community Nursing/Primary Healthcare/Occupational Nursing)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting
- Bachelor of Laws/LLB
NSFAS generally does not fund many Postgraduate diplomas, Honours degrees, Masters degrees and PhD degrees.
Postgraduate students in fields not mentioned above can apply to the National Research Foundation (NRF) for postgrad funding.