Fundi Banner

Enter your email address for emails about the latest BURSARIES available

You can unsubscribe at any time


Type your keywords in the search box above

FAQ: NSFAS Supporting Documents


There are many documents that you need to submit when applying for funding and it is sometimes confusing. Here is a breakdown of what documents you need to submit given based on what situation you are in. 

You may also read this article for detail as to how to submit your supporting documents that are outstanding.


What supporting documents do I need when I'm applying? 

All applicants are required to submit:

Certified copy of your ID, not older than 3 months

A signed and completed consent form


There are other documents required under different circumstances, for example:

If you are dependent on your parents/guardian/spouse, you are required to submit certified ID copies of the parent/s, guardian, spouse not older than 3 months; proof of income of parent, guardian or spouse, for example, payslip or appointment letter. 

If you are self-sufficient (no parent/guardian support) please provide proof of income (again, such as a payslip or appointment letter).

If you have a disability, please provide: Completed and signed Annexure A (if your information is not already loaded onto the portal). 

If you are an orphan, please provide: Completed and signed Declaration Form, Other documents required, if applicable: Retrenchment letter / UIF documentation; Death certificate/s; Divorce decree.


How is NSFAS prepared for fraud such as false documents regarding household income? 

NSFAS uses multiple sources to verify information submitted by applicants like household income. NSFAS works with a credit bureau and also works with SARS to verify the information. Applicants are also required to submit proof of household income and declare that the information they are submitting is correct. 


If you are aware of fraud, you can contact the Vuvuzela Fraud & Corruption hotline:


I am a parent/guardian, unemployed (was not retrenched), what proof may I submit for the application?

After your employment status is verified through government and possibly 3rd party agencies, an affidavit will be accepted. 


What if my parent/guardian is an informal trader who for example sells fruit. What proof of income should I upload?

Your parent/guardian will need to submit an affidavit as proof of income which will be verified by a 3rd party agency.


For more information, you can consult the NSFAS Contact Centre. You can find their details here.


Latest Bursaries

WK Construction awards a number of bursaries, that cover the full cost of studying, to successful candidates in the field of BSc Civil Engineering.

The Pharmaceutical Society Of South Africa (PSSA) is offering bursaries to full-time pharmacy students. Only students registered with a School/Department/Faculty of Pharmacy will be considered.

Students who apply for this bursary must be postgraduate students with a PSSA membership.

Founded in memory of the late Uyinene Mrwetyana, the Uyinene Mrwetyana Scholarship for Women is open for applications. 

The scholarship will be awarded to women students who are pursuing a degree in the Faculty of Humanities at UCT. Applicants will need to demonstrate evidence of leadership in social justice and social activism.

Exxaro is inviting full time students to apply for a bursary. Students currently in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th academic year of study can apply for bursary opportunities in the following disciplines:
  • BSc Geology – 2nd academic year

The Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa (SEIFSA) is offering bursaries to students studying in the following fields: