After finishing matric, passing such a major milestone, you are now probably looking for options of what to do now.
Career planning is important especially making sure you choose the right career path for yourself. Here are some steps that can help you!
Step 1: Figure out where you are
If you have a career history, review it and do the following:
- Your likes and dislikes; needs and wants
- Review your recreations and hobbies
- Document all of your achievements
- Look beyond your current job for transferable skills.
Step 2: Redefine where you want to go
Complete the following activities:
- Set career and job goals
- Explore new education/training opportunities
- Research career/job advancement opportunities
When choosing a career it is important to keep in mind the following:
- What level of responsibility do you want to have?
- What projects would you like to head?
- What results do you want to achieve in your department or organization?
- What type of company do you want to work for (culture, size, integrity, reputation)?
- What problems or concerns do you care enough about to focus your entire career on solving?
- What type of environment do you want to work in?
- What type of people do you like to work with?
- What compensation (salary, benefits) do you desire?
- What type of work/life balance is best for you?
For more assistance, speak to a professional for expert advice on your career choice.
You can consult the DHET Career Advice Website for more direct advice.
You could also watch this interview of Dr Linda Meyer who is a HR Specialist and Operations and Sector Support at Universities South Africa.