If you are interested in funding options for your studies, and you specifically are wanting to study teacher, the Funza Lushaka Bursary might be for you!
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme that funds students who are studying teaching in order to promote teaching as a profession.
If you are approved for the Funza Lushaka bursary, you may not neccessarily have to pay back the bursary monetarily. Funza Lushaka doesn't require you to pay back the money but you are required to accept a teaching post immediately after qualifying. You will need to work in this teaching job for the amount of years you were funded.
You may need to pay back the bursary if you fall under one of these categories:
- if the recipient fails to qualify
- registers for a course of study that is not in a designated priority area
- fails to apply for a teaching post with a Provincial Education Department at a public school, following the stipulated processes
- fails to take up a teaching post with a Provincial Education Department at a public school
- leaves a teaching post with a Provincial Education Department before the end of the contracted service period
- fails to meet a requirement of the bursary agreement
You will then to repay the full amount of the bursary received in terms of the programme, with accrued interest.