The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) does fund postgraduate students, however, only certain courses are covered. Second qualifications are usually funded if it is a professional requirement for employment.
Students who have completed their undergraduate degree and hope to further their studies by pursuing a postgraduate qualification are left with a limited number of funding opportunities.
Those who received funding from NSFAS for their first degree, are not guaranteed funding for their second qualification.
Regarding postgraduate degrees, only students in the following fields are eligible for NSFAS:
- B Tech – Architecture/Architectural Technology
- B Tech – Biokinetics/Biomedical Technology/Biotechnology
- B Tech: Chiropractic
- B Tech: Clinical Technology/Dental Technology
- B Tech: Emergency Medical Care
- B Tech: Engineering (Chemical/Civil/Electrical/Industrial/Mechanical/Mechatronics/Metallurgy/Refractories)
- B Tech: Forestry
- B Tech: Homeopathy
- B Tech: Nursing/Nursing Science/Community Nursing/Primary Healthcare/Occupational Nursing)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting
- Bachelor of Laws/LLB
These students may receive tuition fees, registration costs and a few allowances to help them cover the costs accrued while studying.
Postgraduate diplomas, Honours degrees, Masters degrees and PhD degrees are generally not funded by the NSFAS bursary.
Students who hope to pursue postgraduate qualifications which are not mentioned above may apply to the National Research Foundation.