Gauteng students who aim to further their education have a number of government-provisioned bursary options available to them. A typical condition of these bursaries would require that the applicant be a South African citizen who is permanently residing in the Gauteng region that the bursary was created for.
For the most part, especially with the advent of Covid-19, applications for these bursaries can be accessed and submitted online, but this does not always apply. Here are some of the Gauteng bursaries available as well as information on where and how to apply for them:
- City of Johannesburg (CoJ) bursary- This bursary invites students residing in Johannesburg, and who plan to pursue a full-time undergraduate degree, to apply for it. Some of the qualifications it covers include; Actuarial Science, Commerce, Communications, Engineering, Finance, Health and Medicine, Law, Marketing, Real Estate, Sport Science, and much more. Applications can be submitted online, and both the bursary requirements and the online form can be accessed by clicking here.
- Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality bursary- This bursary covers Bachelor’s Degrees and a National Diplomas in many fields in the following categories; Business and Management Sciences, Science, Engineering, Aviation, and Built Environment, Technical and Vocational training, Health Sciences, and Information Communication and Technology. The application form along with the eligibility requirements are all in one document which can be clicking here. Applications are to be submitted to the applicant’s local Youth Office, Economic Development Department offices or City public libraries.
- Gauteng Department of Health bursary- Initiated by the Department of Health, this bursary supports students studying in the following health fields: Bachelor of Pharmacy, Dentistry, Master of Arts (MA) in Clinical Psychology, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Science (MBchB), Medical Physicist, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy and Speech Therapy, Language, Audiology and Pathology. The application form can be accessed by clicking here. Completed application forms can be submitted by hand delivery to this address: Gauteng Department of Health, 37 Sauer Street, Johannesburg Private Bag X085, Marshalltown 2107. No emailed or online applications are accepted.
- OR Tambo District Municipality bursary- This bursary is open to students pursuing their first year in a degree or diploma qualification. The application form can be accessed by clicking clicking here. The completed application can either be delivered to the registry office at O.R. Tambo District, Municipality House, Nelson Mandela Drive, to the Postal Address which is Private Bag X 6043, Umtata, 5099, or to their municipal manager who can be reached by telephone (047 501 6400), or fax (047 532 6518).
- Gauteng Department of Human Settlements bursary- The Gauteng Department of Human Settlements awards this degree to undergraduate students pursuing the following qualifications: Building Surveying, Construction Science, Construction Management, Town and Regional Planning and Civil Engineering. The application form for this bursary can be accessed clicking clicking here. Application forms are to be submitted either to a Human Settlements Department office in the applicant’s region in Gauteng, or submitted online to the following email address: [email protected]
The above only highlights a few of the many bursary options available for Gauteng students to apply for in their pursuits for education. Further information on government bursaries for each province, including Gauteng can be accessed by clicking here.