Standard bank student loans are divided between two options; the student loan with surety, where another person or guardian will take responsibility for the student’s loan repayments if the student is unable to pay for some or other reason, and the student loan without surety.
Student loan with surety
The application process for obtaining a student loan without surety works as follows:
- Navigate to the Standard bank student loan page at the following link: https://www.standardbank.co.za .
- The page reveals an option for a Student Loan (with surety). This loan option has no maximum tuition borrowing limit and offers an accommodation and learning materials cover.
- By clicking “Tell Me More”, the applicant will be able to find out what documents are necessary upon application, who can apply for the loan, and the conditions of the loan.
- Once the applicant has found themselves eligible for application, they can click the “Do I Qualify?” tab and fill in a form that requires their personal information, and the information of the surety.
- Upon completion of the form, the applicant will be offered an instant loan quote. Thereafter, the student will have to follow the website prompts and the bank will be in touch with them in due time.
Student Loan Without Surety
- On the same webpage as listed above, the student will navigate to the student loan option that does not require a surety. This loan option has a maximum tuition cap of R120 000 and covers existing tuition debt, learning materials and accommodation.
- Again, by clicking the “Tell Me More” tab, the student will be able to see the qualifying criteria, how the loan works, and the necessary documents required for the loan application.
- It must be noted that the student must be studying, or want to pursue their studies at the following universities to be eligible for this loan option: University of Limpopo, University of the Free State, North West University, Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University and Stellenbosch University. The respective university course lists that the loan will cover can be found by clicking here.
- Thereafter, the student can click the “Apply Now” option which will allow them to fill in their details for application and then submit it online.