The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) provides bursaries to students in need who want to study at a tertiary institution. Student who are interested will need to apply online through the myNSFAS student portal.
Some students who have applied may have tracked their application status and noticed it says 'Awaiting Registration'. 'Awaiting Registration means that NSFAS is receiving data from your institution to enable them to create a bursary agreement.
Applicants may find themselves stuck in this situation for a while, as NSFAS has to wait for information from your chosen institution. Students are advised to regularly check their application status as there is no set date or timeframe in which NSFAS will change your application status.
If you want to apply, then you will need to have the following documents ready in order to apply.
- A copy of ID. A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs will be accepted
- Non-Sassa applicants must provide ID copies of parent/s, legal guardian/guardian or spouse
- Smart ID cards: a copy with both sides of the smart ID must be provided
- Proof of income: applicant and/or parents/legal guardian/spouse (where applicable (non-SASSA) should provide the latest payslip, not older than 3 months, UIF letter, appointment letter, retrenchment letter (applicant and/or parent(s), legal guardian/spouse)
- Person with disabilities: to complete Disability Annexure A form.