Seta offers bursaries for different industries in the country. These bursaries are aimed at promoting the skillset of South African youth in preparation for the sectors of qualification that they would like to pursue.
One such sector that provides Seta bursaries is the education sector. This education bursary is known as the Education, Training and Development Practices Sector Education and Training Authorities (ETDP Seta) bursary.
The ETDP Seta places emphasis on the Education, Training and Development sector. The following is a list of the qualifications that the ETDP Seta would fund:
- National Professional Diploma in Education (NPDE) and Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Bachelor of Education (B. Ed) in Mathematics and Science
- B. Ed Foundation Phase
- Certificate in Education
- Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) Applied Mathematics
- Masters in Commerce
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) in Leadership and Management
- Computer Studies
- Human Resources Management
- Public Finance
If a student is studying in any of these particular fields and would like to apply for the bursary, they must take note of the following criteria that will be taken into consideration during selection:
- Applicant’s academic history
- Applicant’s eligibility on a degree, diploma or certificate level
- Applicant’s commitment to teaching and their enthusiasm towards what the role of teaching entails
- Applicant’s willingness to teach at any public school that the student may be placed in post-studies
First priority for the bursary goes to students hailing from rural areas or whose financial background would otherwise not enable them to complete their qualification. Early preference also goes to students who are willing to teach at rural schools upon completion of their degrees.