The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) has stated that applicants who are hoping to apply for a course that is not listed on the application form should select “Undefined”.
Applicants are reminded to check with their respective institutions if the course they have chosen is funded by NSFAS, before applying for the bursary.
Dr Blade Nzimande, the Minister of Higher Education, Science, and Technology of South Africa announced that as NSFAS applications have opened, the government had to categorise students into five cohorts.
The Department of Higher Education and Training believe the cohorts will cover all students who have potential and are in need of financial support.
The five cohorts include:
- Cohort 1: First-Time Entering Students who are Sassa beneficiaries.
- Cohort 2: Returning Students who are also Sassa beneficiaries.
- Cohort 3: First-Time Entering Students who are not Sassa beneficiaries.
- Cohort 4: Returning Students who are not Sassa beneficiaries.
- Cohort 5: Students living with a disability.
The cohorts apply to all citizens and permanent residents of South Africa.
The NSFAS Board guarantees that the 2022 application process will handle student applications a lot more efficiently and make the process seamless.
Students may apply online using any device or visit their nearest application centre.
Before you can apply, you will need to register for a myNSFAS account. Once your account is ready, you may follow these steps:
- Click “Apply” and complete the sections by providing the necessary information.
- Upload the required documents where applicable.
- Select “Submit”.
You will need the following documentation to complete your application form:
- Copy of ID or temporary ID provided by the Department of Home Affairs.
- Non-Sassa applicants will need to provide copies of their parent/s, legal guardian, or spouse's ID.
- Proof of income of the applicant and/or parent/legal guardian/spouse.
- A person with a disability should complete the Disability Annexure A form.
Applications for the 2022 academic year close on 7 January 2022.