The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) provides its students with monthly allowances to help cover the costs accrued while studying.
These allowances include transport allowances, accommodation, living allowances and a few others depending on which tertiary institution they attend.
NSFAS was established to help underprivileged students further their studies. Students at TVET Colleges and public universities receive the following allowances:
TVET College Allowances:
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7,350 per annum.
- Transport: R7000 per annum.
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per annum.
- Transport (up to 40 km from the institution): R7 500 per year.
- Living allowance: R15 000 per year.
- Book allowances: R5 200 per year.
- Incidental/personal care allowance: R2900 per year for students in catered residences.
- Small expense allowance of R2900 per annum for students who are registered for ten modules or more.
- Learning material allowance of R600 per module for the first four modules (or once-off R5200 for five to ten modules).