Who Qualifies For A NSFAS Travel Allowance?



Transport costs could potentially prevent students from regularly attending classes. The NSFAS transport allowance ensures that students can attend class when they need to. 


The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) provides comprehensive financial support to eligible South African students enrolled in approved programmes at universities and TVET colleges. The funding not only includes money for tuition and registration fees but also includes several allowances for food, accommodation, transport and learning materials.

However, all NSFAS-funded students won't qualify for a transport allowance. 

Who Qualifies for a NSFAS Transport Allowance?

It's important to note that NSFAS funding prioritises your living situation. You can receive either a transport allowance or an accommodation allowance, but not both.

To qualify for the transport allowance, you must live at least 10 kilometres away from your campus. This applies to both living at home or with relatives. You must not be receiving an accommodation allowance.

Where students reside 10 km away from campus, such students qualify for the actual transport allowance, the allowance will be paid directly to the student where the institution has not made travel arrangements on behalf of their students. 

How the Transport Allowance Works

The allowance amount covers the cost of commuting between your residence and your university or TVET college.

The allowance is paid directly to you if your institution doesn't have a pre-arranged transportation plan for students living further than 10km.

If your institution has a transportation plan, the allowance will be paid to the institution to cover your travel costs.

By providing a transport allowance, NSFAS helps ensure students from underprivileged backgrounds can access higher education without financial barriers related to commuting costs.

NSFAS Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for any NSFAS funding, including the transport allowance, you'll need to meet several criteria. First, you must be a South African citizen. Second, you need to be enrolled in a programme approved by NSFAS at a university or TVET college. 

There's also a household income threshold you must meet: R350,000 per year for able-bodied students and R600,000 per year for students with disabilities. Finally, you'll need to maintain a good academic record, though the specific requirements may vary depending on your situation.