Will NSFAS Fund Teaching Students?

Do you need funding to pursue your degree in teaching or obtain any other qualification in education? Well, NSFAS could assist you with all your funding needs. 



The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), is a bursary provided by the South African government which assists disadvantaged students, who wish to study at any of the 26 public universities or 50 TVET colleges in the country. 

NSFAS funds many courses at higher education institutions, but will they fund your teaching degree? 

The answer is yes, Teaching and education are both courses that NSFAS funds this includes Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degrees at all public universities and teaching courses that are offered at TVET colleges.

NSFAS, however, does not fund Postgraduate Education courses such as the Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). 

If you need funding for PGCE, then you can apply for the  Funza Lushaka Bursary, which is meant specifically for teaching courses.

Click here for more information on the Funza Lushaka Bursary. 

TVET College teaching courses such as Education and Development National Certificate (Vocational), Educare and Early Childhood Development courses are also covered by NSFAS. 

NSFAS does not only cover tuition but they also cover the costs of registration and provide students with various allowances. These allowances cover transport, living expenses and learning materials.

The following allowances are given to university students: 

  • Accommodation
    As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
  • Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7 500  per annum
  • Living allowance R15, 000  per annum
  • Book allowances R5200 per annum
  • Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences

TVET College students receive the following allowances: 

  • Accommodation in an urban area R24,000 per annum
  • Accommodation in an peri-urban area R18,900 per annum
  • Accommodation in an rural area R15,750 per annum
  • Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7,350  per annum
  • Transport R7000 per annum
  • Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum

Find more information about the NSFAS bursary here. 

Article Category


NSFAS Articles

Many tertiary institutions have made undergraduate courses available to students online. Keep reading to find out if NSFAS will fund students who are planning to enrol in an online undergraduate course.

If you have had an unsuccessful NSFAS application and are looking to appeal but the appeal tab is not visible, then keep reading to find out what you can do about it.

If you are a returning student, you could still qualify for NSFAS funding. Here are the NSFAS requirements for returning students. 

If you are trying to gain access to your myNSFAS account but can't because it says that your 'ID number does not exist', here's what you can do to fix this. 

If you applied for NSFAS funding and received the Non-Sassa Declaration message from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme, you are probably wondering what it means. Keep reading to find out.