Obtaining tertiary funding is a feat that many South African students struggle with regularly. Luckily, for at least some of those who do not have the necessary funds, there are a number of available options, including student loans, student scholarships, and bursary options.
Although student bank loans typically require that the student study in South Africa, there are a number of available bursary and scholarship options that cater for the South African student who wishes to study abroad.
Typically, a student who would like to apply for a bursary to study abroad would need to be in possession of a passport, have an exceptional academic record and reveal an incredible sense of ambition.
The following are a few of the overseas bursaries available to students:
- Higher Education Support Act (Hesa) Commonwealth Scholarships - This scholarship is awarded to exceptional students who are selected by the UK commission to study in the UK. The scholarship covers tuition, monthly allowances, examination costs, and flight costs, and it is offered to students who wish to pursue a one-year Master’s degree, whilst also covering up to 36 months for a full-time Doctorate.
- Reach Oxford Scholarship- This scholarship is offered to a number of students in so-called lower income countries, including South Africa, who have been offered a place to study at the University of Oxford, but are unable to financially support their studies. This award covers the entirety of the duration of study that the student plans to undergo to finish their qualification. More information on this option can be found by clicking here.
- FirstRand Laurie Dippenaar Scholarship- This scholarship is awarded to South African students with an exceptional academic record and offers them the opportunity to study towards a postgraduate degree at any institution in any country abroad. To begin the process of application, click here.
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program - This program provides grants to South African students who wish to pursue their postgraduate degree at a United States university. The program covers any degree of study apart from a Master of Business Administration (MBA). More information about this scholarship program can be found by clicking here.
- The Rhodes Scholarship - This scholarship is offered to outstanding young people across the world and grants them the opportunity to study at the University of Oxford. To access the application overview, click here.