What Does The NSFAS Loan ‘Provisionally Funded’ Status Mean?


NSFAS offers not just bursaries, but also loans to eligible South African students. This guide will shed light on the application process and what a "provisionally funded" NSFAS status means.


Thinking about funding your studies in South Africa? The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) offers financial aid through bursaries and loans.

Launched in 2023, the Missing Middle Loan broadens NSFAS's reach. It's available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students who fall outside the bursary income threshold.

After submitting a loan application, you might see a "provisionally funded" status. Here's what it means and what to do next.

What A 'Provisionally Funded' NSFAS Loan Status Means

If your NSFAS status for your loan application is 'Provisionally Funded', this is great news! It means NSFAS has pre-approved your application but needs to complete a few steps before confirming funding.

Strategic Enablement Executive at NSFAS, Ms Vuyokazi Mafilika, explains:

If a student is provisionally funded, it means that they qualify based on the assessment that has already been done. 

What should I do about it?

There are two main stages before your NSFAS funding is finalized:

  1. Pre-Agreement Signing: Once NSFAS gathers all necessary information, they'll send you a pre-agreement outlining the loan terms. Carefully review and sign this document.

  2. Registration Verification & Loan Agreement: After the pre-agreement, NSFAS will confirm your registration details with your institution. Once confirmed, they'll send you the final loan agreement. Signing this agreement is the final step towards confirmed funding.

Up to 50% of your Missing Middle Loan can be converted into a bursary if you maintain good academic standing.

The Missing Middle Loan prioritizes Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) programmes. Around 70% of beneficiaries will be studying in these fields, with the remaining 30% allocated to Humanities and Social Sciences.

    Suggested Article