Postgrad Courses Covered By The NSFAS Loan


NSFAS is expanding its reach to include postgraduate students through the introduction of student loans for missing middle students. These students won't typically qualify for a NSFAS bursary.


Struggling to finance your university studies in South Africa? The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) could be the answer.

NSFAS has announced a groundbreaking expansion of its funding options, introducing student loans for postgraduate studies. Now, students can access financial support to pursue postgraduate programmes.

Which Postgrad Courses Will The NSFAS Loan Cover?

The NSFAS loan scheme prioritizes Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) programs, allocating 70% of its funding to these critical fields. The remaining 30% is dedicated to supporting students in humanities and social sciences.

Strategic Enablement Executive at NSFAS, Vuyokazi Mafilika that the NSFAS loans will cover all-encompassing postgraduate qualifications. 

What Does the New NSFAS Loan Cover?

The NSFAS loan offers comprehensive financial aid, going beyond just tuition fees. Here's what you can expect:

  • Tuition and registration fees: Focus on your studies without the burden of upfront costs.
  • Living expenses: Receive an allowance to cover food and accommodation costs.
  • Learning materials: Get the resources you need to succeed in your program.

Mafilika explains:

There are concerns around funding for postgraduate research-based qualifications. As part of strengthening the policy document, we are expanding provisions for postgraduate funding and the requirements thereof. 

Up to 50% of your NSFAS loan can be converted into a bursary if you maintain good academic performance. 

    Suggested Article